[Nmc-wg] Call 6/10 @ 15:00 UTC

Michael Bischoff Michael.bischoff at controplex.nl
Fri Jun 18 09:45:12 CDT 2010

Hello Roman,

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 4:08 PM, romradz at man.poznan.pl
<romradz at man.poznan.pl> wrote:

> Thanks Michael. In general I think it would be perfect if NMC could support
> both approaches of data transfer (streaming and separate data channel).
>
> btw. could you write what's the difference between Flow MA (or Flow
> Subscription MA) and Flow Subscription MP. It's not clear to me (the picture
> https://wiki.man.poznan.pl/perfsonar-mdm/images/perfsonar-mdm/2/28/JRA1_Netflow_Subscription_MA_-_design_-_v0.1.png
> is confusing).

I understand why it's confusing, this is in part because it exposes
internals (nfcapd/nfdump) in other part because it saids 'flow
subscription MA' this should be MP instead of MA

The general difference is the same as with all MP vs MA:
the MP gives near realtime stream of flowdata.
where the MA exposes an archive(allows you to analyse the past) of
flowdata can be queried(make specific selections, aggregate
information) to return a result.

The specific difference is that the MP provides a stream of netflow
data(that can be filtered) where the mp provides it's data in a
perfsonar/nmc way. (example can be found here
http://svn.geant.net/GEANT/SA2/ps-java-services/trunk/ps-mdm-flowsa-ma/doc/samples/SetupDataResponse-rawFlows.xml
notice that there can be hundreds or thousands of datum elements
depending on the query - this is also a typical case where streaming
as proposed can greatly help - the control channel approach doesn't
fit here)

the mp and ma can complement each other, the output of the MP can be
used as input for a MA because the MP allows filtering this could
yield quite powerful results. Which the diagram tries the illustrate
but doesn't quite get there. (there's more to be said here but I feel
that we would get too off track.)

> ... and do you have examples of control NMC messages you were using for
> setting up tunnel(s).

There in the svn:
http://svn.geant.net/GEANT/SA2/ps-java-services/trunk/ps-mdm-flowsub-mp/doc/examples/