[nm-wg] documents roadmap

Leese, MJ (Mark) m.j.leese at dl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 17 09:40:32 CDT 2005

Hi folks,

You may recall that we were recently asked to give the Area Director an overview of any documents we had in the pipeline. The final details (that I've now submitted) are below. Please let me know if there's anything you'd like to see changed.

Cheers,

Mark.

Deliverable: Network Measurement Request and Publication Schemas v1.0
Type: Experimental
First Draft: Nov-05
Public Comment: Feb-06
Published: Apr-06
Adoption Level: N/A
Dependent Specifications: N/A
Grid Role: Provide historical record of past work
Description: Targetted at Grid applications, middleware and network operators alike, the version 1 schemas were NM-WG's first pass at producing XML schemas to facilitate the unified requesting and sharing of network measurement data. The work highlighted some gaps in group thinking, which will be addressed in version 2. It should be noted that versions 1 and 2 are not backwards compatible. This deliverable documents 18-24 months of schema work, providing a historic record of the work and lessons learned. It also demonstrates that the group has been productive, even if the results will not be "brought to market".

Deliverable: Network Measurement Schemas v2.0
Type: Experimental
First Draft: Mar-06
Public Comment: May-06
Published: Sep-06
Adoption Level: To be implemented by DANTE, ESNet and Internet2 in the first instance
Dependent Specifications: N/A
Grid Role: Informs app and m/ware design. Recommendations hopefully adopted by network operators.
Description: This deliverable will document NM-WG's version 2 schemas, and gather together comments on the sample software implementations (developed by group members) that will use them. It is hoped that after responding to the user and public comments (perhaps by further modifying the schemas) that the experimental document can be used as a basis for developing a full recommendation.

Deliverable: Network Measurement Use Cases
Type: Informational
First Draft: Jun-06
Public Comment: Sep-06
Published: Dec-06
Adoption Level: N/A
Dependent Specifications: N/A
Grid Role: Informs, validates and justifies other NM-WG work
Description: Complementing other NM-WG work and use case deliverables produced elsewhere in GGF, this document will identify and analyse ways in which network monitoring can be applied in the Grid domain. It is assumed that the use cases will have some relevance to the NM-WG schemas, although that not need be the case. Further, the use cases can be network/Grid operations or middleware focused.Long timescales exist due to a lack of additional effort to produce this document.