[nm-wg] current/planned documents, and WS tutorial

Leese, MJ (Mark) m.j.leese at dl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 1 12:49:09 CDT 2005

Hi folks,

We were recently asked by the Area Director to provide an overview of any documents we have planned or are currently working on. In advance of tomorrow's conference call, and in case you would like to make any comments, the details I'm PROPOSING we return are at the bottom of this mail. The details for these TWO documents are based on several discussions we've had since the Seoul GGF in March.

The only things I probably need to comment on:
  - For now I've left the "Adoption Level" field blank, as I'm not too sure about its purpose.
  - The second document's title refers simply to "Network Measurement Schemas". We're moving away from the the fixed request-response model, e.g. we could produce NM-WG schemas to allow people to register for event notifications. As a result, we drop "request and publication" from the title.
  - Sticking with the second document's title, do we want to include a version number? I've included "v2" but this is really something we do internally. Some might argue that we don't want to confuse people external to NM-WG (and indeed GGF) with this, and that what WE refer to internally as version 2 should be labelled as such externally, so that it appears as THE definitive NM-WG schemas.

We were also asked to think about any holes or gaps in our Infrastrucure area. The area I'm not so sure about, but in terms of NM-WG I think we also need some kind of use-cases document. Whilst I think this is important, I don't think we have the effort to proceed with it right now. I think the effort we have would be better targetted elsewhere. Does anyone agree/disagree? Perhaps we can discuss a use-cases doc during tomorrow's call, and include something in our return to the Area Director.

Following up on the interest shown during the last call, I'm looking at arranging for Marlon Pierce from Indiana to give us a Web Service tutorial at the next GGF (Boston, 3-6 October). To do this it looks like I will need to put together a proposal for a community track event. If anyone has any suggestions or specific issues they would like covered, please let me know asap.

Speak to you tomorrow :)

Mark.

Deliverable: Network Measurement Request and Publication Schemas v1.0

First Draft: Nov-05
Public Comment: Feb-06
Published: Apr-06

Adoption Level:
Dependent Specifications: NA
Grid Role: Provide historical record of past work

Description: Targetted at Grid applications, middleware and network operators alike, the version 1 schemas were NM-WG's first pass at producing XML schemas to facilitate the unified requesting and sharing of network measurement data. The work highlighted some gaps in group thinking, which will be addressed by the version 2 schemas. It should be noted that version 1 and version 2 are not backwards compatible. This deliverable documents 18-24 months of schema work, providing a historic record of that work, and in particular the lessons learned. As a slight aside, it also demonstrates that the group has been productive, even if the results will not be "brought to market".

Deliverable: Network Measurement Schemas v2.0
Type: Experimental

First Draft: Mar-06
Public Comment: May-06
Published: Sep-06

Adoption Level:
Dependent Specifications: NA
Grid Role: Informs app and m/ware design. Recommendations hopefully adopted by network operators.

Description: This deliverable will document NM-WG's version 2 schemas, and gather together comments on the sample software implementations (developed by group members) that will use them. It is hoped that after responding to the user and public comments (perhaps by further modifying the schemas) that the experimental document can be used as a basis for developing a full recommendation.