[lsg-rg] Call For Papers - ACM Crossroads Special Issue in Bioinformatics

Angulo, David dangulo at cti.depaul.edu
Tue Feb 28 10:36:06 CST 2006

Greetings,

I am the guest editor of the ACM Crossroads special issue on
Bioinformatics.  ACM Crossroads is the largest and most popular college
computing journal by and for computer science students, and sponsored by
the premier computer science professional organization, the Association
for Computing Machinery.

We are looking for professional guest reviewers and editors from the
academic community for this special issue on bioinformatics.  If you
have the time to spare to review 3-5 article submissions, please let us
know.  If you have a bit more time to help an accepted article through
the editorial process, including content editing, that would also be
greatly appreciated.

In addition, we are calling for articles related to bioinformatics.  We
are hoping that you will pass this message along to any of your students
who might be interested in submitting an article to Crossroads for this
issue (both graduate and undergraduate students). Please also forward
this on to your colleagues so that they can distribute it to their
students. The "Call for Articles" is below...

Thank you. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me or
the Editor-in-Chief, Jerry Guo.

Sincerely,

David S. Angulo
Faculty
College of Computer Science, Telecommunications and Information Science
DePaul University
dangulo at cti.depaul.edu

Jerry Guo
Editor in Chief, ACM Crossroads
Yale University
ji.guo at yale.edu

--
Call For Articles
Crossroads, the Association for Computing Machinery Student Magazine

DUE DATE: 3 April 2006
SUBMISSION ADDRESS: http://www.acm.org/crossroads/submit/
INFORMATION: crossroads at acm.org
http://www.acm.org/crossroads/doc/cfas/bio.html

The Crossroads editorial staff invites authors to submit articles
dealing with topics drawn from several areas pertaining to
bioinformatics and computational biology. The following partial list of
topics is provided to give prospective authors ideas for articles and is
by no means exhaustive; other relevant topics will be considered. Papers
that draw connections between two or more of these areas are especially
welcome.

   * Genetic programming
   * Neural networks
   * Genomic and sequencing analysis
   * Evolutionary modeling
   * Data mining
   * Protein structure prediction
   * Modeling and simulations
   * Bioinformatic programs
   * Expression analysis
   * Bioinformatic ethics

Articles should include a basic description of the kinds of problems
being worked on, the state of the art of research, the state of the art
of commercial applications, open problems, or future research/commercial
development trends. Interviews with researchers; reviews of related
books, software, videos, or conferences; and opinion columns on related
issues are also welcome. We especially encourage both undergraduate and
graduate students to submit articles.  However, articles written or
coauthored by professionals will also be considered.

Crossroads articles should be written for a broad audience. They should
be easily understandable by someone who has had only the most basic
computer science instruction, and yet still be interesting to the
advanced computer enthusiast. Articles longer than 6000 words will
generally not be considered for publication. Feature articles should be
between 1500 and 6000 words; reviews should be between 800 and 2000
words; and opinion columns should be between 800 and 3000 words.
Articles should be written in a magazine style rather than a research
paper style. In consideration of our diverse readership, authors should
try to use language that is inclusive of people regardless of their
gender, race, religion, nationality, or field of study.
Additional writing guidelines and submission information are available
online at the Crossroads web site
(http://www.acm.org/crossroads/doc/information/writing.html).

Crossroads is published both online and in print. We have a print
circulation of about 20,000. All back issues are available for free on
our website. Authors that have an article printed in Crossroads can
receive complementary copies of the issue they were published in.

All submissions should be formatted in XHTML or plain text format with
all images at least 300 dpi, and submitted via
http://www.acm.org/crossroads/submit/

Submissions are due April 3, 2006. They will be reviewed shortly
thereafter and authors of accepted submissions will be notified within
two to three weeks of the deadline.

Prospective authors are invited to send email to the editors of
Crossroads (crossroads at acm.org) indicating their intention to submit an
article. In this way we can keep everyone informed of any changes in
deadlines or formats and to make sure we have a good variety of
articles. General questions should also be sent to the Crossroads
editors.