[lsg-rg] Summer Fellowships for US undergraduates

Angulo, David dangulo at cti.depaul.edu
Fri Feb 24 08:53:52 CST 2006

Dear all:

Below I have forwarded some information about a summer fellowship that
is available to undergraduates interested in biology and computers -
they MUST be US citizens or permanent residents.  I would very much
appreciate your help in soliciting good students for this summer.
Please feel free to pass this on and to pass recommendations on to me.

Thanks very much for your help.

Dave

The Biomedical Informatics Group at DePaul has a summer undergraduate
research project in Bioinformatics and Grid computing.  This group
co-sponsors paid summer fellowships with the Illinois Bio-Grid, Argonne
National Laboratory and the University of Chicago.  The program will
last for 10 weeks and will be conducted on-site in Chicago.

Grid computing is a new field that utilizes geographically separated
commodity computers as a virtual supercomputer. Students will have
access to thousands of computers at the advanced computational
facilities at Argonne National Laboratory and the Illinois Bio-Grid.
Bioinformatics is a relatively new field of biological research
involving computation. Areas include human genome research, simulations
of biological and biochemical processes (such as cell membranes), and
proteomics (e.g., protein folding simulations).

This project will provide free summer housing and will pay $420 per
week.
More information on the project for Bioinformatics and Grid computing
are available at http://reu.cti.depaul.edu or by contacting Dave Angulo
at dangulo at cti.depaul.edu

David S. Angulo
Faculty
College of Computer Science, Telecommunications and Information Science
DePaul University
dangulo at cti.depaul.edu