[jsdl-wg] Parameter Sweep and BES Factory

Steven Newhouse Steven.Newhouse at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 22 13:18:50 CDT 2008

I would treat this as a two part problem...

The current model in BES and JSDL is that one JSDL document passed into the CreateActivity yields one EPR to reference/manage it. I don't see any compelling reason to move away from that.

To deal with the state representation of the many parameter sweep jobs I would look to use the BES state extension model to capture the details of the number of queued, running or finished parameter sweep tasks WITHIN the running state. I think this would need to be captured in a short profile document along the lines of the HPCBP File Staging extension.

If you want to manage each task within an activity there is an undefined Activity port type in the BES specification that you could look to define for individual parameter sweep tasks if you really wanted to... but I'm not convinced of the use case and need for this.

Steven