[jsdl-wg] Parameter Sweep new artefact

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Aug 21 07:55:00 CDT 2008

Michel Drescher wrote:
> The following is a brief example how the DocumentNode element would be
> used in a Sweep:
>
> <sweep:DocumentNode
>          mapping="http://schemas.ggf.org/jsdl/2005/11/jsdl-posix foo http://schemas.ggf.org/jsdl/2005/11/jsdl-posix
>   bar">
>      //foo:POSIXApplication/bar:Argument[4]
> <sweep:DocumentNode>
>
> Note that the example is quite artificial as it binds the same
> namespace to two different prefixes. Nonetheless, it is a valid example.

For myself, I'd not use a list of strings in a mapping attribute because
that's not just awkward to validate, but also ugly! Instead I'd go with:

   <sweep:DocumentNode>
     <sweep:Map uri="http://schemas.ggf.org/jsdl/2005/11/jsdl-posix"
         prefix="foo"/>
     <sweep:Map uri="http://schemas.ggf.org/jsdl/2005/11/jsdl-posix"
         prefix="bar"/>
     <sweep:Match>//foo:POSIXApplication/bar:Argument[4]</sweep:Match>
   </sweep:DocumentNode>

I suppose this would be a good point to note that the prefixes for a
particular group of Map terms would need to be unique. The scope of the
uniqueness is really tight though, so I've no problem with it. But this
is all just my take on things. (Gah! The W3C really ought to do a way to
embed XPath in XML without all this crud, but that's outside the scope
of JSDL-WG for sure, and of OGF too...)

Donal.