[jsdl-wg] Wildcards in data staging elements

Alexander Papaspyrou alexander.papaspyrou at udo.edu
Wed Nov 14 05:52:10 CST 2007

2007/11/13, Donal K. Fellows <donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk>:
> Bernd Schuller wrote:
> > what is the opinion on using JSDL DataStaging elements that contain wildcards?
> > Or even something more powerful such as filesets with includes and excludes,
> > as in Apache Ant?
>
> is that they can sometimes lead to unexpected results; I can remember
> someone creating a file called '-f' in a globally-writeable directory
> once and getting some very strange complaints from the sysadmins. :-)

I'd vote against wildcards. They are somewhat platform-dependent (see
Donal's statement on -f) and create dependencies on the implementation
of the underlying filesystem (see Jon's statement).

IMHO this is more or less a convenience feature: instead of writing a
staging element for each of "outfile1.dat" to "outfile100.dat" by
hand, there should be an easier way to do it. But this is something
that should be handled by the UI used for submission, and (stab me if
I'm wrong) as such out of the scope of JSDL.

-Alexander
--
Dipl.-Inform. Alexander Papaspyrou
http://ds.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~alexp

  Robotics Research Institute                   phone : +49(231)755-5058
  Information Technology Section                fax   : +49(231)755-3251
  Dortmund Technical University, Germany