[jsdl-wg] application profile proliferation

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Feb 19 16:48:43 CST 2007

Joseph Bester wrote:
> I think there are some semantic differences between the various
> element definitions.

Yes. That's the point. Isn't it a good thing they're in different
namespaces? :-)

> For example (if I'm reading the specifications correctly) things like
> the executable path are defined by default as relative to the
> WorkingDirectory in the HPCApplication profile, but not in the
> POSIXApplication profile.

In effect, the HPC app Executable requires (without saying this) that
you don't use the PATH to select the binary to run. That's fine for
their specific goal (demonstrating interop across a lot of systems) but
I suspect that it is too restrictive for many interesting uses. To my
mind, that just means that there's room for an "HPC Level 2 Profile"
sometime. :-)

> Did the group consider having this as a separate extension child of
> the jsdl:Application element (independent of the POSIXApplication or
> HPCProfileApplication)?

No, because (IIRC) that's not (technically) type-compatible. This is
because we specified that there can only be one xsd:any##other child of
the JSDL Application element.

Donal.