[jsdl-wg] application profile proliferation

Joseph Bester bester at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 19 12:38:28 CST 2007

On Feb 18, 2007, at 10:51 PM, Andreas Savva wrote:
> Just as sort of an overview of the motivation behind these application
> extensions:
> - The HPC Profile Application extension removes elements from
> POSIXApplication extension that do not apply to non-POSIX systems.
> Windows was the specific motivating example. Also it narrows down some
> of the definitions of other elements defined by POSIXApplication
> for the
> specific interoperability needs expressed by the HPC Profile. I
> believe
> it doesn't add any new features.
> We did discuss whether it was better to try and modify the definitions
> of POSIXApplication extension to accommodate explicitly non-POSIX
> systems and it was felt at the time that for clarity having these
> similar-but-different definitions in a new namespace was the preferred
> solution.

I think there are some semantic differences between the various
element definitions.
For example (if I'm reading the specifications correctly) things like
the executable path are defined by default as relative to the
WorkingDirectory in the HPCApplication profile, but not in the
POSIXApplication profile.

> - The SPMD Application extension main motivation was to add MPI
> support---though it is likely to do a little bit more than that. A
> subset of POSIXApplication sub-elements relevant to such
> submissions are
> re-used as is and I think this is reasonable usage. We did discuss
> alternatives (encapsulating one or more POSIXApplication elements
> inside
> an SPMDApplication element for example) but we felt that importing the
> relevant  set of elements from the jsdl-posix namespace was the
> simplest
> way forward.

Did the group consider having this as a separate extension child of
the jsdl:Application element (independent of the POSIXApplication or
HPCProfileApplication)?

joe