[jsdl-wg] application profile proliferation

Joseph Bester bester at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 16 13:13:46 CST 2007

I've been reviewing JSDL, the BES HPC Application Profile, and JSDL
Parallel/SPMD profile to see how they can be used with Globus GRAM
execution service. One concern I have is the way these various
application profiles are redefining the same basic functionality
(executable, arguments, environment, etc), either in their own
namespaces or importing from the jsdl-posix namespace, sometimes with
different behavior/features. It's not clear to me how (if at all)
these are to be/can be composed.

The feature set of GRAM seems to span these profiles: some (but not
all) of the limits from POSIXApplication are relevant, as is the SPMD
functionality of specifying the various process counts and something
like SPMDVariation. There is also a small amount of scheduler-
specific and site-specific extensions that GRAM might have to deal with.

Do other groups have plans for implementing more than one of these
profiles, and what approaches are you considering for doing so?

joe