[jsdl-wg] Regarding Data Staging Elements in JSDL

Alexander Papaspyrou alexander.papaspyrou at udo.edu
Thu Apr 12 07:01:07 CDT 2007

Donal,

Donal K. Fellows schrieb:
> Gargi B Dasgupta wrote:
>> My question is:  In case of a workflow, with multiple job steps, and
>> data transferring in and out between these steps,
>> what is the natural home for these data staging elements.
>>
>> Is it in the workflow or in the individual JSDL elements. Will the Data
>> Staging elements remain in JSDL and then transfers needed in the
>> workflow be inferred from these JSDLs. Or will the staging be explicitly
>> defined in the flow.
>
> Excellent question.
>
> Ideally, I'd imagine that they'd be in the flow, especially as transfer
> of a large dataset could take a long time (and considerable resources)
> in itself. JSDL deliberately doesn't do this, and this is because it
> doesn't assume the presence of an outer flow language (some use-cases
> specifically require data transfers in order for even a simple job to
> run, so they have to be there). If you've got such an outer language, do
> put the transfers there (though you could also use a JSDL document
> containing just a DataStaging section to describe the transfers,
> resulting in the flow language just joining up a bunch of JSDL docs).

yes, but handling stuff completely outside impairs the possibility of
using JSDL filesystems, which is a very interesting feature especially
for POSIX jobs along with using environment variables.

Maybe it makes sense to handle file naming and referencing in JSDL while
keeping track of workflow I/O dependencies outside, probably doubling
something.

Regards,
--
Dipl.-Inform. Alexander Papaspyrou  |  44221 Dortmund, NRW (Germany)
Robotics Research Institute         |  phone  : +49(231)755-5058