[jsdl-wg] [Fwd: Proposed extension]

Alexander Papaspyrou alexander.papaspyrou at udo.edu
Tue Sep 12 06:41:03 CDT 2006

Hi Ariel, all,

Ariel Oleksiak schrieb:
> 1. I understand that there might be several dependencies related to a single
> job. If so, you assume a conjunction or disjunction of dependencies? In
> other words, ALL dependencies or ANY of dependencies must be met (e.g. jobs
> finished) to start a job? In my opinion both cases are sensible and
> justified so it would be useful to enable determining it in this extension.
> However, dependencies would have to be probably grouped into groups
> concerning particular jobs.

yup, true. I just overlooked that, sorry. In our own, proprietary stuff,
we handle this. I will incorporate the conjunction/disjunction notion
into my proposal.

> 2. I understand that the condition 'before' means to start a job before
> other job has been started?

Yes. However, you are right that this is ambiguous.  I agree that the
best way to handle this would probably be to couple the condition to job
states, but...

> I think the most general way to express conditions is to allow specifying
> after which state of other job a given job must start (e.g. after start,
> finish, failed, canceled etc.). The problem is that as I remember well
> definitions of job states are not a part of the JSDL specification.

that is the problem. Alas, I don't see a solution for this. Any thoughts
on this?

> 3. Have you considered passing output data from workflow jobs as input data
> to another jobs in JSDL? To make it independent from chosen nodes there
> should be a possibility to express input/output files as logical identifiers
> unique within a workflow.

Yes, I am currently working on this. My idea was to add an ID attribute
to the <jsdl:DataStaging> element, which then could be referenced in
other <jsdl:DataStaging> elements; I will put this together during the
next days and then happily discuss the implications on the list.

Regards,
Alexander

--
Dipl.-Inform. Alexander Papaspyrou      | 44221 Dortmund, NRW (Germany)
Robotics Research Institute             | phone  : +49(231)755-5058