[ogsa-bes-wg] Re: [jsdl-wg] Questions and potential changes to JSDL, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Fri Jun 16 02:05:00 CDT 2006

On Jun 16, Andreas Savva modulated:
> Hi Marvin,
>
> I think that, in general, if a restriction the HPC profile chooses to
> make is specific to its domain then, yes, it is possible that some other
> profile may choose to make different choices. Are you saying that JSDL
> must be changed to fit exactly what the HPC profile requires?

If I might interpret, I think the issue is that there is a subtle and
qualitative judgment involved in deciding whether something is:

  a) a basic syntax and semantics that ought to underlie every profile

  b) a restriction of the base to simplify a profile

  c) an extension of the base for a domain-specific profile

  d) a contradiction of the base in a profile

I am sure that the people who have been involved in JSDL for a long
period of time would have a certain level of "shared taste" as to how
to draw these lines.  Other people looking from the outside might not
appreciate the history of interactions which create this group
perspective.

Alas, I do not think there is any simple technical or procedural
solution to the make these distinctions and to support evolution of
ideas. At best, we can periodically reassure each other that we are
willing to consider new viewpoints and alternatives, while also being
patient to "educate" new arrivals, thereby having the necessary
hysteresis in the process to make progress and yet avoid thrashing.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com