[ogsa-bes-wg] Re: [jsdl-wg] Questions and potential changes to JSDL, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Mon Jun 12 05:21:32 CDT 2006

Hi Andre,

Andre Merzky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting [Donal K. Fellows] (Jun 12 2006):
>> Marvin Theimer wrote:
>>> If we narrow the definitions of mountpoint and mountsource enough and
>>> precisely describe their semantics then we might arrive at something
>>> that could be fairly widely used.  I???m thinking of things like saying
>>> that you can???t navigate ???out??? of a file system via ???cd ..???, etc.
>>> This is definitely something to explore.
>> Change "can't" to "shouldn't" and I'd agree. I don't regard the mount
>> stuff as being a way of describing security enforcement points. Systems
>> can do it that way, but at least some won't.
>>
>> In fact, I'd be happy enough with the profile stating that paths in JSDL
>> documents should not contain either the "." or the ".." elements at all.
>> That's a fairly strong requirement and guarantees that the job won't
>> fail on systems where your style of semantics are enforced.
>

> The GFS group (naturally) did some analysis on file systems,
> directory navigation etc, and on related issues in Grids.
> It might be useful input, and prevent you from re-doing that
> job.
>
> You might want to browse their meeting material section on
> forge
> (https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/docman/do/listDocuments/projects.gfs-wg/docman.root.meeting_materials) for some overview material.

[This link is broken - seem to be a link from the old gridforge!]

Good point.

OTOH, it's not only GFS that is or should be involved. In fact, I see
the following group's involvement:
- GFS
- WS-Naming
- JSDL
- DMI
- HPC
- GSM

I would like to know if there are enough resources available to get all
these groups together in an inter-group F2F to wrangle this issue?

Cheers,
Michel

--
Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe