[jsdl-wg] Future plans for JSDL

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 03:11:01 CST 2006

A S McGough wrote:
> 3) Prioritise the items. From the session parallel jobs seemed to be the
> thing most people wanted next.

Just a quick note to say that the main reason for doing the parallel
jobs stuff next (probably starting from the base proposed by the people
from Barcelona; they've identified the stuff that's needed after all) is
that otherwise there'll be several different groups doing it themselves
in an incompatible way. To me, that says it is an *excellent* idea to
foster a standard extension for this and to expedite this. OK, I think
other extensions/improvements are more important in the grand scheme of
things, but the fact that people are doing it now forces our hand.

Looking at the parallel proposal, I have to ask how it is supposed to be
combined with the POSIX extension, since without that it's not going to
work (still need command-line args, env-vars, etc.) Once we've nailed
that down, I think it will be just A Simple Matter Of Writing. :-)

Donal.