[jsdl-wg] JSDL v0.9.5-01

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 04:52:14 CST 2005

Michel Drescher wrote:
> here're a couple of new and updated documents:
>
> draft-ggf-jsdl-spec-0.9.5-01.doc
>     The JSDL specification document itself. Contains all
>     changes and decisions from the last phone conference.
>
> jsdl-0.9.5-01.xsd
>     The JSDL schema consistent (well, I hope so...) with
>     the latest specification document.
>
> apps-posix-0.1.xsd
>     The schema defining the POSIXApplication element.
>
> POSIXApplication-Example.xml
>     A sample XML file using the POSIXApplication extension.

Looking pretty good (modulo the outcome of the UserId discussion ongoing
in the other thread). Issues I've spotted on a quick read-through:

1: Section 6 is now inconsistent in its references to other terms
    (ProcessCount and TileSize are under POSIXApplication)

2: It is probably a good idea to move the section after the normative
    extensions section as well, in order to minimize forward references.

3: Resource/FileSystem/DiskSpace does not specify the units (only
    sensible values are bytes or 512-byte blocks; we probably want to
    specify bytes).

4: Many examples throughout Resource/FileSystem and R/FS/DS are out of
    date.

5: Subsubsection titles for 5.5.14 and 5.5.15 have extra spaces.

6: 8.1.3.1 states that argument whitespace must be collapsed. What does
    this mean? I've had use-cases in the past where I've wanted to pass
    pure-whitespace arguments to programs...

7: Examples in 8.1.3.6 sometimes use (old) Arguments element.

8: Input, Output and Error elements should state that we're talking
    about filenames relative to some known location (the job's working
    directory?)

9: First sentence of 8.1.10.1 should read:
    "This element is a positive integer that specifies the soft limit on
    the duration of the application's execution, in seconds."

10: All limit elements (8.1.10 through 8.1.22) should have a "Limit"
     suffix to their names for clarity.

11: Minor typos in 4.2.2.5.2's source expression. The translation is
     correct.

12: Figures 1 and 2 *still* need reworking so they don't look like
     embedded powerpoint... :^)

13: Need to state (in section 1) that JSDL is intended for use both on
     the Grid and elsewhere. This is important because it informs a
     number of our design decisions which would have been different had
     we been able to assume that we were encapsulated within some kind of
     service context.

That's everything I can think of after a quick run-through. I might
think of more later. :^)

Donal.