[jsdl-wg] GGF 13 notes and further discussion

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Mar 29 02:55:43 CST 2005

On Mar 29, Donal K. Fellows loaded a tape reading:
> Karl Czajkowski wrote:
> >Being able to mark some elements as mandatory and others as optional
> >means that a consumer, for whatever reason, can filter out optional
> >pieces and consider the remaining document as "equivalent" for the
> >needs of the producer.  This allows the consumer to eliminate
> >extensions that it does not understand as well as parts it understands
> >but which conflict with its own policies.
>
> The problem is that there's no way for us to force such attributes on
> extension elements (I think) and we don't need it for any non-ext
> elements in JSDL since the spec has everything as "must understand"
> (though a consumer could reject the doc if it doesn't "support" the term
> in question).

We could do it via a wrapper... I am proposing this sort of mechanism
in WS-Agreement as well:

  1. treat elements in xsd:any extensibility slots as mandatory/critical

  2. except, if wrapped in jsdl:noncriticalExtension which is an
     element w/ exactly one xsd:any##other in its body

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com