[jsdl-wg] Issues for todays phone conference

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Apr 12 08:00:36 CDT 2005

Ali: I am partial to the opening idea, e.g. that the posix application
element get its own user and group IDs that _only_ mean the user/group
settings for the execution.  I wouldn't want to see them get mixed up
in more traditional notions of user, e.g. the user or "account" to
which the job charges are accounted.

Even though these will sometimes (often?) be the same string, that
doesn't mean they are the same concept.  I think it is better to
organize the support for concepts based on how they are related to one
another in use, e.g. the posix set of parameters are separated from
the resource selection criteria, rather than to how they might appear
similar through the haze of abstraction.

I guess I am realizing that the User section bothers me because it is
trying to be a "stovepipe" abstraction among a set of more horizontal
"layers" like resource selection and job configuration. I think better
layers to go with these would be "authentication and authorization
tokens, assertions, etc." and "accounting".  Each of these may have
some aspect of "userness" in them. :-/

karl

On Apr 12, Ali Anjomshoaa loaded a tape reading:

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com