[jsdl-wg] Issues for todays phone conference

Ali Anjomshoaa ali at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 07:08:31 CDT 2005

Many thanks for this Michel. There is a missing issue. Fairly high up on
the list should be the issue about what to do with the User and Group ID
info/elements? We've carried this issue over from the previous discussion
and discussed it at length on the list. We just need to finalise our
decision and move on.

Summary of my observation is that:

  POSIX User and Group ID elements are required in the POSIX Application
  section/element only for now. We can extend this for further application
  types (e.g. Web Service invocation) by adding new, more specific, user
  ID elements.

Other ideas are:

1. Different user types in a User element, which can be added to later:

<User>
  <POSIXUser/>
  <POSIXGroup/>
  <WebServiceUser/>
  <OracleUser/>
  <XindeceUser/>
</User>

2. General UID and GID with extensibility:

<User>
  <UID/>
  <GID/>
  <xsd:any##other>
</User>

I'm in favour of 1. if we're to have a dedicated User element - i.e. not
application specific like:

<Application type="POSIX">
  <UID/>
  <GID/>
</Application>

as suggested in the opening paragraph.

Cheers and take care,

Ali

--

        Ali Anjomshoaa
        Mayfield Road                   E-mail: ali at epcc.ed.ac.uk
        Edinburgh EH9 3JZ               Phone:  + 44 (0) 131 651 3388
        United Kingdom                  Fax:    + 44 (0) 131 650 6555