[jsdl-wg] RE: [drmaa-wg] making a custom file path for output

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Apr 6 08:32:45 CDT 2005

Ali Anjomshoaa wrote:
> we discussed this issue at some length at GGF13 and were unsure as to how
> to proceed. We would like to be able to reference labeled attributes, but,
> I think we're still discussing how to implement this issue in the xsd
> schema depending on current tooling!
>
> I think, unfortunately, our choice of how we implement this in xsd will
> influence how we specify how to do this in the spec. Clearly this is not
> ideal and should be the other way round!

> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Rajic, Hrabri wrote:
>>Placeholders would be special variables like home directory or job id ($
>>sign prefixed below), which DRMAA could substitute in job attributes
>>like the output path:
>>
>>drmaa_set_attribute( $jt, DRMAA_OUTPUT_PATH,
>>         $DRMAA_HOME_DIR/MY_APP/my_job_output.$DRMAA_JOB_ID.out"

Hmm, I have to say that I don't like arbitrary substitutions in XML
content, especially in styles like this. (It's one of the bits I do not
care for about Ant, BTW.) But the way I'd handle such a problem is
through something like submitting the job through a service that applied
an XSLT substitution to the document before producing a doc with "ground
terms". If you see what I mean.

In the specific case of wanting to have file arguments given to the
application made relative to one of our virtual filesystem concepts,
there is an argument to be made for some improvement of the JSDL spec.
At the moment, the only mechanisms we have for arguments are "relative
to the job working directory" or "absolute", neither of which are great
for this use-case. (The same argument applies to environment variables,
of course.)

Does this brain-dump indicate the sort of area where we need to address
some kind of solution? Or are there other cases which will need more
refinement before we work out how to fix it all?

Donal.