[jsdl-wg] Questions about JSDL schema

Andreas Savva andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com
Tue Jan 18 04:32:51 CST 2005

Hi

I got an action at the last teleconf to followup on the
filesystem/mountpoint/diskspace issues Ariel raised. Sorry for being
late with this.

 (I've edited/re-arranged the two emails to gather the relevant parts
together)

    :

    :

>> But MountPoint is a mandatory element. How to specify required disc
>> space without knowledge about mount points on local systems?
>
> IIRC, the mount point does not need to be associated with an explicit
> location. (I hope someone else will try to answer this question!)

There are 3 scenarios here:
  1. User specifies that certain filesystems must be available at a
certain locations
  2. User specifies certain filesystems must be available but doesn't
care where, as long as the information is passed  back somehow, e.g.,
environment variables.
  3. User only cares that sufficient DiskSpace is available because
there is access to some other mechanism that will deploy/configure the
resource before the job is executed.

At the moment we clearly support (1) and somewhat obsurely (2), and
perhaps even (3) as Donal mentions. If we agree that these 3 scenarios
are equally valid I wonder if we shouldn't make the rules clearer. For
example:
 - make the MountPoint optional
 - if the MountPoint is specified then the filesystem MUST be available
at that location
 - if the MountPoint is not specified then the filesystem MUST be
available at some location and there MUST be an environment variable
(subject to the rules of ApplicationType) defined by the execution
system with the same name as the "FileSystem id". The value of this
environment variable MUST be the location of the filesystem.

And for case (3) we could allow the DiskSpace element to appear directly
under Resource.

Andreas