[jsdl-wg] Naming elements

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Thu Apr 14 05:13:18 CDT 2005

Perhaps I am being too informal for your liking, but I think the JSDL
specificaiton is intrinsically defining an ontology of jobs already,
i.e. what are the meaningful concepts of jobs that can be submitted.
The semantics of the various JSDL XML bits are described in English
using this implied ontology.  Anyone can read the specification and
write out the set of concepts into their favorite formalism. What
makes it an ontology is its "job-space characterization nature",
rather than it being written one way or another!

The only question is how explicitly will the specification call out
this fact?  If it does nothing, there is an implicit ontology being
presented.

The spec could pay a little respect to the ontology-obsessed by
calling out the various concepts or tabulating them somehow. It could
encourage reuse by tweaking the XML schema and discussions to
emphasize the meaning of "atomic" syntaxes without being tied to the
enclosing JSDL document context more than necessary (as I think Donal
is suggesting?).

At the far other extreme, the specification could try to formalize the
ontology using some ontology modeling language.  I wholeheartedly
agree that there should not be an undertaking here at this time (or
ever?).

karl

On Apr 14, Michel Drescher loaded a tape reading:

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com