[jsdl-wg] Naming elements

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Thu Apr 14 04:02:52 CDT 2005

Donal,

On 14 Apr 2005, at 9:10, Donal K. Fellows wrote:
>>> There is a JSDL Specification which defines a
>>> family of documents such as jsdl:JobDefinition.  If you want to talk
>>> about a JSDL document, you need to define a "JSDL" element!  Every
>>> XML
>>> element is a document, once you embrace the universe as an
>>> infoset. :-)
>> Again, the specification (to my understanding) does NOT define an
>> ontology. It clearly states the parent child relationships between
>> the elements, for example a "[jsdl:Application element] MUST be a
>> sub-element of the JobDescription element."
>> (draft-ggf-jsdl-spec-0.9.5-01.doc, ch. 5.4.1.1).
>
> It is this message/discussion that I was referring to during the
> telecon.
>
> Examining the current spec indicates that we do not define an ontology,
> and this is because we specify what elements must contain other
> elements. By dropping the reference from element definitions to their
> parents (as used in a job-defining document) we can define an ontology
> *as well*. Sounds like a win all round to me.

In this respect I fully agree. I am not objecting the idea of defining
an ontology at all.
It is simply the fact that changing the spec to define an ontology will
cause quite some text changes and general reorganisation of the
specifcation document itself. I'd rather postpone this to a later JSDL
version.

Cheers,
Michel