[Isod-rg] OGF ISOD-RG use case document

Joan A. Garcia-Espin joan.antoni.garcia at i2cat.net
Tue Sep 20 04:53:26 CDT 2011

Hi Alex,

> I think we can agree the e.g. Google App Engine is a typical PaaS
> example. Here, on this layer, we should incorporate the network. So
> we don't want to setup a network topology or configure interfaces.

Agree.

> As you wrote: "you need some generic functions". What if I can
> deploy a "network-aware" distributed application to the Google
> cloud? I.e. I can specify that I want the network e.g. behave like
> GPRS mobile network. Is this what we talk about?

This is the bottom-down approach, and it must also be considered. This
is not so close to my area of expertise, but finding a good use case
could help driving the discussion.

> What about this:
>
> a) I can setup a virtual NSI/Harmony/Argon/Argia/... instance
> somewhere in the cloud that can control the physical/virtual network
> I'm managing or
> b) a can rent a pre-configured appliance that runs an NSI instance
> for my network...

Yes, these are valid examples. Please mind that in either case you
need privileged access to either the infrastructure management systems
or some abstraction/virtualisation layer as the LICL in Geysers [1,2].

Thoughts?

[1] www.geysers.eu
[2] http://www.youtube.com/v/7kinKsJ1Hg8&autoplay=1&hd=1
--