[Isod-rg] OGF ISOD-RG use case document

Alexander Willner willner at cs.uni-bonn.de
Fri Sep 16 10:34:58 CDT 2011

Hi there,

Thanks for the answer.

>>> to PaaS
>> What about "nPaaS" (Network PaaS): here you can specify network properties of your Application PaaS.
> My idea is: ok, a network domain has some properties (if managed) that allows you to provide net services on top. Hence, one can see the net domain as a "platform" for net services. This has implications in the management and control functions of the domain: you need some generic functions, and some tech-specific ones. Does this reasoning fit your mind?

I think we can agree the e.g. Google App Engine is a typical PaaS example. Here, on this layer, we should incorporate the network. So we don't want to setup a network topology or configure interfaces. As you wrote: "you need some generic functions". What if I can deploy a "network-aware" distributed application to the Google cloud? I.e. I can specify that I want the network e.g. behave like GPRS mobile network. Is this what we talk about?

>>> and, why not, to SaaS.
>> Mh, Network as a Software?
> Not this way, I am referring to "network software". Simple example: the control plane and its behaviour. Complex example: programmable networks. It is again related to control and management, but now in thinking in the operation phase. Even more, using the Google App Engine (one platform) one can run different apps simultaneously (several sw pieces). Is this applicable to networking? How do we re-define SaaS if so?

What about this:

a) I can setup a virtual NSI/Harmony/Argon/Argia/... instance somewhere in the cloud that can control the physical/virtual network I'm managing or
b) a can rent a pre-configured appliance that runs an NSI instance for my network...

Best regards, Alex

--
net.cs.bonn.edu/willner