[INFOD-WG] Minutes - INFOD conference call, Thursday, June 28 2007

Dieter Gawlick dieter.gawlick at oracle.com
Fri Jun 29 14:26:41 CDT 2007

Steve,

The flag is not enough to do the required check.

Let us go through the following scenario:

    * The is a property instance P created at t1
    * There is a constraint C1 created at t2, P is in the solution set of C1
    * P is dropped with 'DISABLE NEW' at t3
    * There is another constraint C2 created a t4, P is in the solutions
      set of C2 - if the DISABLE NEW flag is discarded
    * t1 < t2 < t3 < t4

The DISABLE NEW flag is obviously not enough to determine, since P
remains in the solution set of C1 but has to be excluded from the
solution set of C2. So, one has to keep more information. There are
certainly several obvious possibility. Adding VALID-FROM and VALID-TO
seems to be the most sensible.

I am not sure whether this is strictly an implementation issue (just a
recommendation) or whether we have to mandate it. I think we need to
mandate it and add it to the specifications. Without additional
information a GetMetaData request would not be able to answer the
following question: What are the proper instances (and related entries)
in the solution set of C1 or C2?

Dieter

--

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Dieter Gawlick | Architect | 650.506.8706