[INFOD-WG] Implementation Issues.

Vijay Dialani vdialani at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 18 18:25:24 CDT 2007

Hi All,

When helping Raghul with implementation issues, three questions were
raised from his side:
1. Implementation and use of Dynamic Constraints (Status: solved)
2. How does the publish messages (with TTL) as it become aware of that new
dynamic consumers? (Status: solved)
3. How does publisher handle frequent notifications about consumers?

For the first issue, I found that the specification is ambiguous, in some
section it requires consumer to handle the Dynamic Constraints, in some
other sections it requires publishers to handle the Dynamic Constraints.
Attached are the text excerpts from the base specification:

>From section 1.1.1
In addition a subscription may include dynamic consumer constraints. These
are constraints which are evaluated by the consumer rather than the
registry by looking at the contents of a potential message.
>From Glossary
Constraint      Constraints are used to specify which conditions must be
satisfied to be eligible for an interaction. Constraints must be
formulated in the constraint language(s) that are associated to the
vocabularies, which are used to structure the referenced data. Most
constraints are evaluated by the registry but dynamic consumer constraints
are dealt with by the consumer. The absence of constraints shows that the
interaction is unrestricted.

>From section 2.4.1 and section 2.4.2

These Constraints are designed to determine the consumers of each message
based on its content; i.e., a Dynamic Consumer Constraint cannot be
applied by the INFOD registry and is processed by the publishers.

This clearly show inconsistency in the specification. We assume that the
DynamicConsumerConstraints need to be evaluated by the publisher and will
like to know uses cases for evaluation by consumer, if any.

The dynamic consumer constraints will be based on data vocabulary and we
are working on actual mechanisms for implementation,

Second, issue:
The Publisher internally associated TTL with every message and retains
them as its internal state. When it receives the notification about a new
consumer, it examines the internal queue of messages and notifies the
consumer in appropriate order.

Third issue:
We will be seeking help from Oracle team to help with DB internals  and
choice of appropriate indexing mechanism.

Regards,
Vijay Dialani, Ph.D.
IBM Almaden Research Center, B2-237
650 Harry Road