[INFOD-WG] Do we really need disseminators?

Dieter Gawlick dieter.gawlick at oracle.com
Fri Jul 27 14:08:56 CDT 2007

Ronny and I started to discuss potentially disseminator functionality.
At the very beginning Ronny asked the question: Why do we need them? As
it turns out, functionality attributed to disseminators could be
implemented today - after we fix the notification messages, which we
have to do anyway.

Please read the attached note: I am eager to hear your comments. I am
especially interested if to hear from Steve what is missing for R-GMA,
and from Arjun and Raghul, would this be sufficient for the SensorNet.

If we really would *not *add disseminators we have still some work to
do; e.g., we have to improve significantly the functionality of
subscriptions, most likely define a set of operational characteristics,
look at distributed registries, improve the message content and
potentially add streaming. Ronny and I like to add an UPDATE operation.
This would deal with some undesirable side effects of REPLACE in
conjunction with DISABLE NEW. REPLACE would become a special case of
UPDATE.

Dieter
--

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Dieter Gawlick | Architect | 650.506.8706