[INFOD-WG] Dynamic consumer constraints

Fisher, SM (Steve) S.M.Fisher at rl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 09:48:28 CDT 2007

That would be a bizarre reading of the spec. It makes no sense for one
constraint to be able to weaken another. Each time a new constraint is
imposed the total messge flow can be reduced but not increased. This
should be spelled out a little more clearly in section 1.1.1.4

> Calculating this list, however, seems to create fundamental
> problems; it may be very big and more importantly the
> registry may not understand the constraints because these
> constraints are referencing data vocabularies, which do not
> need to be XML vocabularies. So far, we avoided the registry
> to get involved in evaluating non-XML constraints.

This is something I wanted to define in the spec but was persuaded not
to. I think we either have to specify a plugin mechanism for a vocaulary
or define a vocabulary as a service. I much prefer the latter approach.
Meanwhile our spec does not, in practice, support non-XML data
vocabularies. This should probably be stated.

> We could also say that property constraints limit the
> eligible dynamic consumers; but this would have to be made
> very explicit.

We have always said that constraints are cumulative - I see no reason
for this to be an exception