[INFOD-WG] 2 More things

Fisher, SM (Steve) S.M.Fisher at rl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 10:17:21 CDT 2007

This will be last e-mail before Thursday - but I will collect up all my
emails and the responses into one big e-mail so that we can go through
it all on Thursday

There are a number of places where we provide background information in
chapter 2. This should be eliminated - for example lines 1403-1404 say:

In order to have a publisher entry use a data vocabulary, it MUST create
an association to a data vocabulary (section 2.6.1).

The text is wrong - but the important point is that it is not the
responsibility of the DataVocabulary to know how it might be used

Another example I would like to remove is from line 289:

The registry matches publishers with consumers for each subscription.
When the registry matches consumers with publishers it takes into
consideration all the property constraints specified by each involved
entry. Specifying a property constraint requires the identification of
the publisher entry with the corresponding Property Vocabulary Instance
(Section 2.5.2). The publisher MAY also specify what data vocabulary it
is using for its publication. This MUST be done by creating one or more
Data Source entries (Section 2.6.1)

What we do want to do is define ONCE in chapter 3 under what conditions
notifications are sent. Section 3.2 is quite good but it does not spell
out how the constraints work in sufficient detail to allow two
implementations to behave the same!

Incidentally the description in the tbale at 1703 is confusing as it
users the term consumer in a wider sense - nor does the notify message
define "how" a message is consumed

--- plenty for Thursday

Steve