[infod-wg] section 3 comments

Djaoui, A (Abdeslem) A.Djaoui at rl.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 08:41:33 CDT 2005

Cecile
See </AD> commnets

Abdeslem

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-infod-wg at ggf.org [mailto:owner-infod-wg at ggf.org]On Behalf Of Cecile Madsen
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 4:39 PM
To: infod-wg at ggf.org
Cc: Cecile Madsen
Subject: [infod-wg] section 3 comments

Abdeslem,

See my answers below.

Everyone,

I'll update the specs by Wed next week so send me your comments
by then; as mentioned before, I'll update gridforge with the latest draft
'pre-ggf15' version of the specs soon.

Thks,
Cecile

Cecile Madsen
Websphere II Replication, DB2 II Replication, DB2 DataPropagator
IBM Silicon Valley Lab
(408) 463 2578
madsen at us.ibm.com
----- Forwarded by Cecile Madsen/Santa Teresa/IBM on 09/15/2005 08:20 AM -----

	"Djaoui, A \(Abdeslem\)" <A.Djaoui at rl.ac.uk>

	09/15/2005 08:08 AM

Cecile Madsen/Santa Teresa/IBM at IBMUS, "Fisher, SM \(Steve\)" <S.M.Fisher at rl.ac.uk>, "Dieter Gawlick" <dieter.gawlick at oracle.com>, "Shailendra Mishra" <shailendra.mishra at oracle.com>, "SC Davey" <skiing_davey at yahoo.co.uk>, Susan Malaika/Santa Teresa/IBM at IBMUS, Vijay Dialani/Almaden/IBM at IBMUS

cc

Subject

FW: new draft for section 3

Now after reading section here are my immediate thoughts
1- The names BaseXManager should be changed to BaseXRegistrationManager (e.g. BasePublisherRegistrationManager). This is because the Manger is not managing the Xs but just their registration.
-> OK no problem

2- The Consume interface should simply be called the Consumer interface.
-> You're right. That is what we had decided (!) so an oversight on my part.

3- We need a Publisher interface that will optionally support a subscribe() message (similar to WSN) (we need more discussion here)
-> How about the Publisher simply implement the SubscriptionManager interface ? then it will get the subscribe operation, ie
the CreateSubscription... ? isn't that good enough ?!

<AD>

Well it all depends on the exact semantics of createSubscription(). I understood this is a registry operation!

I am thinking about aligning with WSN. NotificationProducer in WSN supports subscribe() and getCurrentMessage() operations. The management of subscription once they are created is delegated to SubscriptionManager. In WSN the subscription is with ONE known producer that either is also a SubscriptionManager or contacts the subscriptionManager that takes responsibility for the management of the subscription. This should still be allowed in InfoD. What is new in InfoD is the createSubsciption() which is not directed at ONLY one publisher. The registry finds the relevant publishers and in turn it should effectively create a subscriptions with/for each one of them. (THIS ONE OF THE ADDITIONAL FINE GRAINED FUNCTIONALITIES THAT INFOD ADDS TO WSN) Now how do we do this. Up to now we have assumed that the infoD registry (subscriptionregistrationManager) does that somehow. But we could use the subscriptionManager from WSN for the inividual subscriptions if we build on top of WSN.  So our subscriptionManager will extend from WSN subscriptionManager to decouple subscribers from publishers. This is different from saying that createsubscription() is a replacement of subscribe() and our subscriptionManager is a replacement of WSN subscriptionManager.

I mentionned getcurrentmessage() because of its similarity() with getData() and so getData() seems to belong in a publisher interface.

</AD>

and for "ADVANCED" publishers select/defineEvent()
-> This is again provided indirectly thru a CreateSubscription: a subscription can create an event...
The current specs mention it. We could however split that overloaded function from the CreateSubscription and render that
operation more like the subscribe and rely on a different one like CreateEvent to deliver the event creation.

<AD>

Yes indirectly without saying how? But the spec should clearly state how a subscription creates an event or it shouldn't state that at all. Because if we don't specify it it will result in non-interoperable ways of creating events. I think we need to nail down the operations and semantics of how we define events and messages or remove any reference to that effect from the spec completely.

</AD>
-> I see this as an exercise to get aligned with WSN. But wouldn't bring it up at our GGF F2F because it is talking about
advanced functions that should be relegated to the 'other' doc (that is not yet created...).

<AD>

Well this was really one of main initial driving functionality of InfoD work. May be in GGF we should simply discuss if we really need this in InfoD and if a couple of sentences is enough or we need to define operations to supportr taht functionality in the future.

</AD>

and select or define Message() (we already had some discussion on this Pluggins remember?
but I don't know if a final decision was reached).
-> can you expand on this ? I don't remember the context. The define Message() as you mean it is probably
now delivered by the user data vocabulary, which essentially defines a message structure (so RegisterVocabulary operation).

<AD>

Yes that defines the structure of messages but this is different from instructing the publisher to publish a certain message as a result of a certain event. This functionality is alluded to in the spec but the spec does not really specify anything about that functionality.

</AD>

4- change getMdata to getMetaData(), although I am struggling with the use of the word metadata. We are talking here about getting the the data of the entries in the RegistrationManager. How about getEntries(). Somebody remind me why this is different from GetDataForBrowse()
-> get data for browse is a pull point operation, ie consumer data whereas getMetadata is a registry operation so we thought it'd be cleaner to
separate both from an interface pespective: the getdata may be part of a 'advanced' scenario whereas all infod (base) scenarios will need the
getMetadata.
<AD>

OK I see now that the semantics are different and that's a good justification for a different name. I still fail to see why this is an advanced scenario. As I said before I see this as beloging to an infoD base publisher (as an extension of WSN Producer)

</AD>
-> To stay in line with your 1st comment, maybe we could rename GetMData to getRegistrationData or getRegistrationEntries ?

<AD>

Yes I am OK with either

</AD>

Abdeslem