[infod-wg] Notes from May 19 teleconference

Chris Kantarjiev chris.kantarjiev at oracle.com
Fri May 20 14:56:56 CDT 2005

WS-RF and the INFOD framework: Cecile sent out some notes about this
to the mailing list; please refer to them.

She recapped the WS-RF world. We have to figure out how we create
resources; the WS-RF takes over once the resource is created. She
has detailed all the resources (artifacts) and who creates them.

Registration Manager becomes a resource manager, it seems; there
are good analogies for almost all of our expected operations. It
may suffice to have a single Port Type (PT) for all of these.
But what about the resources that entities, not artifacts?

It's not clear how to manage INFODResourceReferences - possibly
as service groups. We should probably rename this item...

The latest WS-N draft appears to have a filter model that is
aligned to our requirements more closely...

Abdeslem and Cecile will work on getting the correspondence more concrete.

UML vs Java vs WSDL? Chris & Vijay will make a decision about how
to build the model. Continuing with UML causes tooling difficulties.
Generating WSDL by hand is painful. Java might be a middle ground
to get the work done - the important thing is to do some sort of
model check before diving into implementation. There is some freely
available tooling available for UML that generates Java; Oracle's
JDeveloper 10.1.3 is in beta, will do Java and UML diagrams and
can now export to XMI for WSDL generation by other tools (such
as Rational). Perhaps there are Eclipse plugins?

The interfaces will certainly have to be realigned when trying
to resolve with the use of WS-RF; we'll want to model that first.

Dieter is pulling apart the filter and vocabulary management
to make the model more clear; he's uploaded a new version of
the doc. Please read it and give him feedback.