[infod-wg] Spec

Steve Fisher S.M.Fisher at rl.ac.uk
Thu May 5 10:42:07 CDT 2005

Hi,

I have started reading through a copy of the spec (as sent to Abdeslem
yesterday) to make sure that I remain clear about it.

I see no attempt to split this into 3 docs yet

1.

The diagram is confusing as quite different objects live in the
boxes. Filters are not mentioned in the text.

I see that publications, disseminations and consumptions are back. It
says:

   Publications, dissemination and consumptions are the artifacts that
   execute the actions directed by publishers, subscribers,
   disseminators and consumers.

This says that these things "execute actions" - but their interface is
not described anywhere. I presume from reading further that they don't
actually *do* anything but just describe things.

These things need describing in the Use Cases so I need to understand
them. I will struggle to work out what these things are supposed to be
- but I am sure the names are confusing.

It says that a prerequisite is vocabulary management. I don't think we
should say this.

1.1 Are these now all the agreed requirements?

1.2 We have too many dependencies

1.3 Can't we just assume that WSDM will happen one day?

2.1 Resource should only be used in the WSRF sense - calling a Role as
resource is very confusing (even without WSRF)

2.2 This is quite hard to understand. Though it does not belong in the
final document (I think) it would be good to have an example registry
entry for each role and each artifact.

How do you assign a unique identifier to a publisher (non-WS variant)
- In general how unique is it?

There is much more to come when I have done more reading - but I will
send now in case we want to discuss any of it in 15 minutes time

Steve