[infod-wg] New use case diagram

Steve Fisher S.M.Fisher at rl.ac.uk
Wed Dec 21 11:25:59 CST 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 03:00:38PM -0000, Stephen Davey wrote:
> This is my Media use case diagram drawn using Poseidon. Is this the sort
> of thing that people had in mind?
>

> Cheers,  Stephen.

I think your diagram has some good features - and some bad

I like your use of stereotypes to relate the actors to their roles in
infod terms.

However I would prefer to see the actors interacting directly with the
use cases rather that going through a pseudo-usecase called INFOD registry.

I see you have changed the diagram a bit for the document so I will
comment on that too:

I think the title should probably be in the plural - as this is a set
of use cases. The ellipse in a use case diagram is a single use
case. This use case may then be explained in text by going through one
or more scenarios.

The INFOD registry cannot be an actor outside the system!

I think we should probably have just one use case diagram effectively this
shows the six use cases you have listed in 1.3.3 and the 2 (or 4) in 1.3.4.

Some authors encourage showing implementation details and inheritance
in use cases - others don't. I prefer to avoid showing anything other
than which actors are involved in which use cases.

I would value other people's opinions on the "correct" use of UML

Steve