[infod-wg] 'advanced' operations of RegistrationManager interface

Cecile Madsen madsen at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 25 11:12:16 CDT 2005

Abdeslem and all,

The next draft of the specs will be split into 2 docs:
- one for base patterns (RegistrationManager and Consume interfaces)
- one for advanced patterns: PO Box, Disseminator, XDisseminator

For base patterns, entities like publishers, consumers,
subscriptions are created in the (base) Registry using the
(base) RegistrationManager interface (operations CreateXXX).

For advanced patterns, entities like a disseminator are
created in the Registry using the RegistrationManager operation
'CreateDisseminator'. Other operations are also available in
the RegistrationManager for advanced patterns.

The base RegistrationManager interface should obviously
not include advanced operations. How can we model this ? :

Option 1. Have 2 (Base and Advanced) RegistrationManager interfaces.

The issue with that option is whether queries can be done across
entities owned by the 2 different interfaces... as we have a GetMData
that will require disseminators being searched based on publishers,
consumers, etc. So the GetMData operation of the advanced
RegistrationManager would have to possibly query data maintained
by the base RegistrationManager (?!).

I'm not sure that is possible. Is it ?!  This is assuming that our entities
in
the registry are ws-resources, so follow that pattern (interface with
resource properties document).

Option 2. Extend base interface with advanced operations

Keep one interface and have it extended with the new operations.
This is dependent on wsdl 2.0 supporting inheritance - which is currently
a draft, targeted for Oct 05 ? -

--> We're opting for option 2.  Comments welcome....

Cecile