[Idel-wg] Mike Jones: Working Group Draft for OAuth 2.0 Act-As and On-Behalf-Of

Mischa Salle msalle at nikhef.nl
Tue Sep 23 08:49:42 EDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 03:43:45PM +0100, Jensen, Jens (STFC,RAL,SC) wrote:
> Hi Mischa,
>
> That sounds to me like a great use case. If you look at the life of a
> GSI proxy in the wild, you can see how many times it was delegated (like
> tree rings or something), and that alone suggests a need for multistep
> delegation.

Hi Jens,

just some background information: the use-case came up in the context of
the CLARIN project: user contacts portal, portal contacts SP1, and SP1
must be able to contact SP2 on behalf of the original user.
Apart from the last step, you can do this with standard OAuth2. However,
by default AFAIK, the token is not really restricted, so nothing
prevents SP1 from just using the token it got presented by the portal to
contact SP2. You would want to constrain the scope to a specific
service, such that any other service using that token will not be
allowed access. Instead, the token could allow the first service to
obtain a new token, which it could use to do the second step. Kerberos
has something like that I belief, although I couldn't find the right
reference.
This is something you actually also would like to do with proxy
certificates and for some reason has never been developed (see also
RFC3820 3.8.2, 5.3.2, 5.4). Even though making such constrained
delegation information private is hard (at least for proxies), it still
would be a big improvement in security. Proxy theft would become a lot
less interesting.

    Cheers,
    Mischa