[Idel-wg] Mike Jones: Working Group Draft for OAuth 2.0 Act-As and On-Behalf-Of

Mischa Salle msalle at nikhef.nl
Tue Sep 16 09:21:58 EDT 2014

Hi Paul, others,

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 03:49:56PM +0200, Paul Millar wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> On 25/08/14 07:13, Sill, Alan wrote:
> >Thought you would be interested in the following link, from the blog
> >of Mike Jones of Microsoft.
> >
> >Topic: There's now an OAuth working group draft of the OAuth 2.0
> >Token Exchange specification, which provides Act-As and On-Behalf-Of
> >functionality for OAuth 2.0. This functionality is deliberately
> >modelled on the same functionality present in WS-Trust.
>
> Interesting, although (to me) a little odd: OAuth is already about
> delegation, so providing a delegation framework within a delegation
> framework seems redundant.
>
> Another odd point is that the RP needs to know (a priori) the
> identity it wishes which, in general, it doesn't (c.f. OpenID
> Connect).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think that an interesting use-case is
multi-step delegation. For single-step delegation standard OAuth2.0 is
fine. But how should a resource server then do a further delegation
step, so RP-1 want to request access to RP-2 on behalf of user. It could
try to (mis)use the original token, but it's much better to require a
new token. That means it must request a token on behalf of the original
user. In that case, it also would know which identity to use, right? Or
do I misunderstand your second remark?

    Cheers,
    Mischa