[GSM-WG] About synchronous srmLs with offset and count

Riccardo Zappi riccardo.zappi at cnaf.infn.it
Wed Oct 14 11:58:07 CDT 2009

Hi,
probably we have already discussed this, but I would like return to the
topic because I'm not able to find, both in the current SRM
specification and in the archives of various SRM mailing lists, a
conclusive answer.

The doubt is in the interpretation of 'offset' and 'count' parameters in
the case of a synchronous implementation of srmLs.

The problem arises when in addition to offset and count parameters, it
is specified at least one directory within SURL array and 'numOfLevels'
is greater than zero. In this case, some SURLs pointed out by the
request are not enumerated in the requests (i.e. the files within the
directory) and therefore, the list of files may be change between
subsequent calls, since files can be added or removed from the directory
by some other concurrent SRM requests.

For example, suppose you want list the content of a directory, and you
do not know the exact number of files on it. Your first attempt fails
with SRM_TOO_MANY_RESULTS, so you proceed with the use of count and
offset. I think it is appropriate to suppose that SRM returns the lists
of the files always in the same order, whatever it is.
Suppose that between two successive requests, one file is removed in the
directory by another users/process, and that file fits in the part of
list you already retrieved. In this case, your successive request skips
one file, because your offset can take into account positions lose
because of deletion from other SRM requests.

We believe it is appropriate to explain better in the SRM specification
the behavior expected in the case of offset, count, 'numOfLevels'> 0 and
directories, with a synchronous srmLs implementation.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cheers,
Riccardo

Riccardo Zappi

Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare - CNAF
Viale Berti Pichat, 6/2,  40127 BOLOGNA - ITALY
Phone:  +39-051-609-2868                Fax:    +39-051-609-2746
e-mail: riccardo.zappi at cnaf.infn.it