[GSM-WG] OGF GSM SRM v2.2 document

Arie Shoshani shoshani at lbl.gov
Wed Sep 12 16:20:16 CDT 2007

Matt,

Let me respond to your comment, wearing the GSM co-chair hat.

There is no intention to ask OGF or anybody else to "accelarate" the
process.  This was just a way for Alex to say that we should proceed
without delay with OGF, and follow their usual procedure.

Actually, we have been delaying the submission to OGF for quite a while
for two reasons.  First, we wanted the dust to settle on items
discovered by the joint testing and the WLCG experience.  Second, I
wanted to have a good appendix for the SRM concepts ready.  Since we
have recently finished a joint paper for the IEEE MSS, I could use an
edited version of that for this purpose now.

The data area leader in OGF have been bugging us for a long time to have
some version submitted.  This includes the previous area leader, David
Martin, and the current area leader, Erwin Laure.  We were reluctant to
submit earlier versions since we felt they were not reviewed by members
of the SRM collaboration carefully.  Now, with the experiece we have
with verison 2.2, and several implementations, I believe we are in good
shape to submit this as the first draft.  There is a process of moving
the document along the OGF structure, once the initial version is
submitted.  The term "accelarate" meant that we (the GSM co-chairs)
should not delay the process by being slow or negligent in following the
OGF process.

BTW, the new co-chair for GSM from Europe is Jens Jensen, which is the
reason I am copying him on this message.

I hope this clarifies our intentions for you.

Arie