[GRAAP-WG] Time Constraints Profile

Alexander Papaspyrou alexander.papaspyrou at tu-dortmund.de
Thu Dec 10 13:56:01 CST 2009

Dominic, Costas, all,

> 1) Positive: compact representation
> 2) Negative: difficult to model, negotiate and evaluate adherence

Actually, I don't really agree on this. Whether the agreement
initiator or responder expands the intensional representation (and at
which time) does not matter at all.

> 3) Positive: can be used to model infinite number of repetitions
> (every
> day until the end of the world)
>
> I think that 3) has no real usecase as contracts should contain a well
> defined end.

Well, this might or might not be the case, since this is up to the
contractors. I could think of examples where you want to have
perpetual contracts but, from time to time, renegotiate a certain term
(such as the price). A savings account would be an example for this,
and one can think of many similar contract types.

> I think the extensional description has the same expressiveness (as
> mentioned, I don't see 3) as a usecase for us) but is easier to handle
> and creates a leaner specification.

As said, I don't really agree on the former, but have to admit that
the specification simplicity is a valid point, too. Personally,
however, I would give more power to the expressiveness to ensure a
broad set of possible agreements while sacrificing simplicity a bit,
since humans are not supposed to ever see the electronic agreement in
its bare, naked form anyway.

Best
Alexander