[GRAAP-WG] Time Constraints Profile

Thu Dec 10 12:13:42 CST 2009

Hello Costas,

I thought about this for time. My point of view is the following:

I can use my calendar application and define appointments for "every day
from now until next Friday, 9am-5pm". After entering this appointment
and going to the calendar view, I see one appointment each day. So
"every day from now until next Friday, 9am-5pm" was just an intensional
description of what can be expressed by an extensional description as
well (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensional_definition).

So what are the advantages and disadvantages of an intensional description?

1) Positive: compact representation
2) Negative: difficult to model, negotiate and evaluate adherence
3) Positive: can be used to model infinite number of repetitions (every
day until the end of the world)

I think that 3) has no real usecase as contracts should contain a well
defined end.

Considering 1) and 2) I am still in favor of the extensional
description. "every day from now until next Friday, 9am-5pm" becomes
just "2009/12/10 9am-5pm, 2009/12/11 9am-5pm, ..., 2009/12/18 9am-5pm".
When the user enters an SLA its GUI can still present "every day from
now until next Friday, 9am-5pm" but just render it as an extensional
set. Each individual time frame could be modeled as one SDT+GT.

I think the extensional description has the same expressiveness (as
mentioned, I don't see 3) as a usecase for us) but is easier to handle
and creates a leaner specification.

Best regards,

Dominic