[graap-wg] url for the Web Services Policy WG in W3C

Asit Dan asit at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 28 08:57:08 CDT 2006

Andreas,
    We didn't have a discussion on this in our weekly call.   As Karl and
Toshi noted  that this is a trivial change (and Heiko provided a validated
schema with this change), so from a pure technical implementation
viewpoint this doesn't impact  the spec even at this late stage.

I believe this is a very important issue, and we should have a well
reasoned and well articulated position on this for the wider audience --
whatever may be the final decision of the group.  The issue will keep
coming up as the wider audience (Web Services community) will fail to
grasp the strong objections of this group to aligning this spec to WS*
stack, and WS-Policy in particular.  I believe the goal of this group is
to make WS-Agreement  specification to be adopted by the wider Web
Services community, and not to be perceived as something niche for job
scheduling or just "Grid-thingy".   Off course, in the same spirit, I (we)
have equally strongly advocated to the JSDL community for leveraging this
spec in specifying flexible scheduling objectives.

There are several benefits from this change: better alignment and
acceptance by the broader WS* community and also avoiding confusion on SLA
vs Policy.  A wide spectrum of folks I hear from in my everyday activities
(architects, developers, customers, analysts...)  don't quite distinguish
SLA and Policy.   [ Off course, that's not my position.]  Typical comments
I hear -- are you using WS-Policy  in specifying service level assertions?
 By embracing the use of WS-Policy as an envelope for agreement terms we
not only avoid this confusion but also easily demonstrate what additional
aspects are being covered by WS-Ag spec.  Finally, in the runtime
enforcement environments (service registry, monitoring system, workload
manager, ... ) SLA derived enforcement policies can be represented
uniformly.

Given that WS-Policy draft (that has been submitted to W3C) is very stable
- has been co-authored by representatives from several organizations,
already implemented by many vendors and many other OASIS standards on
security, transaction, reliability, etc. dependent on this spec -  and
changes to the current draft of WS-Ag spec is minimal (not surprising,
since we started with WS-Policy for term composition), there are many good
reasons to embrace WS-Policy now. In any case, it's a public document
(W3C), and we can make WS-Ag   spec dependent only on the submitted draft.

Regards.
Asit Dan, Ph.D.
SWG SOA Design Requirements
Phone: (914) 766-1767
Internet: asit at us.ibm.com
ICSOC 06 PC Chair (http://www.icsoc.org)

Karl Czajkowski <karlcz at univa.com>
Sent by: owner-graap-wg at ggf.org
06/28/2006 03:20 AM

Andreas Savva <andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com>
cc
"'GRAAP-WG'" <graap-wg at gridforum.org>, Toshiyuki Nakata
<t-nakata at cw.jp.nec.com>, Asit Dan/Watson/IBM at IBMUS
Subject
Re: [graap-wg] url for the Web Services Policy WG in W3C

I agree. It doesn't seem to add much to WS-Agreement at this point,
and I think people who want to engage in an "SLA and policy"
discussion should be able to observe the trivial mapping necessary
to understand our compositions as policy composition.

karl

On Jun 28, Andreas Savva modulated:

--
Karl Czajkowski