[graap-wg] url for the Web Services Policy WG in W3C

Toshiyuki Nakata t-nakata at cw.jp.nec.com
Tue Jun 13 19:17:45 CDT 2006

Hello:
Asit: Thank you very much for the pointer.

I intend to attend today's teleconference, but I might fail to do so,
so here are my views on  PROS and CONS:

PROS:
Quote: from
  http://www.w3.org/2006/04/ws-policy-charter.html
"Web Services Policy defines a flexible policy data model and an extensible
grammar for expressing the capabilities,
 requirements and general characteristics of a Web service, and defines
mechanisms for associating policies with Web service constructs.
Web Services Policy is used to convey the conditions for an interaction
between a Web service requester and a Web service provider."
It would be good to have this related part in WS-Agreement described in a
compatible way as that would make acceptance of
WS-Agreement  easier.

CONS:
1)Adopting WS-Policy would mean that WS-Agreement would depend on a
specification which still needs to be agreeed to.
While the charter does say that "Therefore, this Working Group shall be
schedule-driven and Web Services
Policy shall remain compatible with and to the extent possible accommodate
the use of these existing policy assertions. "
Until the final draft is out, one may not know what will stay stable.
The end date is 31 December 2007 which is a year and a half away. I think
many people have been waiting
 for WS-Agreement spec to be completed and to have to really wait more might
have negative effects.

2)Adopting WS-Policy would mean that there would be need to change the
current implementations.
I do not know how many implementations of WS-policy there are in the world
but to have to modify
the current imlplementation would have some negative issues (at least for
the implementation people) for getting interoperability etc.

3)(This is a minor issue) Since this has a large impact, we might need
another call of public comments.

All in all I would suggest that for this version of the spec, we should
stick to the current spec to be released and consider the modifications
for the next version of the specification.

Best regards
Toshi

-----
Toshiyuki Nakata 中田 登志之
Executive Chief Engineer, Central Research Lab. NEC
1753, Shimonumabe, Nakahara-Ku,
Kawasaki,Kanagawa 211-8666,Japan
Tel +81-44-431-7653 (NEC Internal 22-60035)
Fax +81-44-431-7609 (NEC Internal 22-60509)