[graap-wg] url for the Web Services Policy WG in W3C

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Wed Jul 5 05:45:22 CDT 2006

On Jul 05, Andreas Savva modulated:
> Asit,
>
> Thank you for the detailed response.
>
> I am not objecting to aligning WS-Agreement to other standard WS specs.
> My objection is specific to the status of WS-Policy. Simply put, we
> think that standards should build on standards. Not on drafts, public or
> otherwise. WS-Policy has been submitted to the W3C (a good thing) but
> this is just the beginning of the standardization process for that spec.
> Can anyone claim that the final product of the WS-Policy WG will be
> exactly the same as this initial submission? For me this out weighs any
> benefit that might be obtained from making a point that should be
> obvious to people familiar with the specifications anyway.
>
> I would like to see the WS-Agreement specification, which already has a
> number of implementations, published. It's been in draft mode too long.
>
> Andreas

I agree with this sentiment.  I also suggest that we not ignore the
possibility of a minor "point release" to generate a new updated
WS-Agreement spec with new namespaces and possibly this WS-Policy
dependency when such a standard is finalized.

I think we put too much emphasis on trying to find one perfect
snapshot, rather than accepting different snapshots for different
purposes.  The existing implementors have an interest in standardizing
their services.  Some of us (like me ;-) expect further experience w/
the first WS-Agreement standard to likely inform changes for a future
version, since this whole area is underexplored in practice.

Clearly, nobody is advocating that we put out one WS-Agreement spec
and then retire forever since it is perfect...

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com