[graap-wg] Telecon on 3/21

Jon MacLaren maclaren at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Mar 21 17:18:36 CST 2005

Hi Karl,

Ok, I wasn't at the face-to-face meetings - I should have read the
minutes.  But then I was out of the loop for a while during those
times.  But where would someone new to the group pick up this
information?  It is likely that a new user would read the group
charter, the use cases, and then the example in the specification.
Lets look at each of these in turn.

1. If you look at the charter, it only mentions doing advance
reservation of the resources - doesn't mention job submission.

2. The use cases talk in terms of SNAP, with the reservation that is
being made by GRAAP being an RSLA.  It also states that TSLAs (i.e. the
running job) are created when something is submitted (something like) a
batch queue.

3. And even if you look in Appendix 2 of the specification, you don't
state whether or not the user needs to do something else to make the
job "happen".  (The only hint that this might automatically happen is
that the user specifies many things here, far more than a system would
need merely to reserve resources - but it's totally implicit.)

So no wonder people are confused...

Why don't you put together a simple informational document that shows
the process of a user creating a job using WS-Agreement, the staging in
of files, the execution, and staging out of results.  Something that
shows all the interactions between the user, the agreement provider,
the resource manager, etc.  The authors of the spec obviously have very
clear intentions about this - they should be clearly stated somewhere!

I think that such a document would be very valuable at this point.  It
could also be a valuable input to the BES group, to show you their
intent - I didn't pick up on your viewpoint from your presentation in
Seoul, and I think I was pretty awake at that point (you were lucky
:-).

The group might also want to consider updating the charter.

Jon.