[glue-wg] comments about cloud attributes in GLUE2.1 draft

Baptiste Grenier baptiste.grenier at egi.eu
Fri Jun 8 04:04:05 EDT 2018

Hi Stephen,
For the In/Out ports we could use the NetworkConfigurationPort_t t6ype
instead of UInt32, it would allow '80', '80,443' and '2000:25000'. Would it
be OK?

For the IntanceMax/Min attributes: it's useful for us to be able to
know the capacity and the specificities of the infrastructure.

Cheers,
Baptiste

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 at 11:39 Stephen Burke - UKRI STFC <
stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk> wrote:

> Alessandro Paolini <alessandro.paolini at egi.eu> said:
> >> For Manager: MaxRAM seems a slightly strange thing to publish, is it
> useful? I'm also not sure what you'd do with the InstanceMax/Min
> attributes. Clients should be
> >> looking at the Share rather than the Manager, so these would normally
> be for monitoring or accounting use cases, is there a need to monitor those
> things?
> >
> > in general we use these attributes for getting information about the
> hardware features of the cloud framework, independently from the Share
>
> But who is "we", i.e. what is the use case? If you have a real use for the
> attributes it's fine, I was just wondering if you'd added things without a
> concrete idea of what you'd do with them.
>
> >> NetworkPortsIn/Out, do you really want an explicit list of every port
> rather than allowing a range?
> >
> > yes, the applications require specific ports, and we need to take into
> account the network configuration in the several sites that is quite diverse
>
> OK, but if you have a lot of ports it would be a lot of data to publish.
> If you changed the type to string you'd get a bit less type checking, but
> you'd have the flexibility to publish ranges and still be able to have
> single numbers.
>
> > Side question: the same names (IDFromEndpoint and LocalIDFromManager)
> are used in the ComputingActivity class. Do we change them as well? CEJobID
> and LocalJobID?
>
> OK, I missed that. We shouldn't change things in an existing class, and it
> may be that it would be better to keep the same names for the cloud class -
> something to discuss.
>
> Stephen

Baptiste Grenier
EGI Foundation - Operations Officer