[glue-wg] comments about cloud attributes in GLUE2.1 draft

Stephen Burke - UKRI STFC stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Jun 5 05:38:21 EDT 2018

Alessandro Paolini <alessandro.paolini at egi.eu> said:
>> For Manager: MaxRAM seems a slightly strange thing to publish, is it useful? I'm also not sure what you'd do with the InstanceMax/Min attributes. Clients should be
>> looking at the Share rather than the Manager, so these would normally be for monitoring or accounting use cases, is there a need to monitor those things?
>
> in general we use these attributes for getting information about the hardware features of the cloud framework, independently from the Share

But who is "we", i.e. what is the use case? If you have a real use for the attributes it's fine, I was just wondering if you'd added things without a concrete idea of what you'd do with them.

>> NetworkPortsIn/Out, do you really want an explicit list of every port rather than allowing a range?
>
> yes, the applications require specific ports, and we need to take into account the network configuration in the several sites that is quite diverse

OK, but if you have a lot of ports it would be a lot of data to publish. If you changed the type to string you'd get a bit less type checking, but you'd have the flexibility to publish ranges and still be able to have single numbers.

> Side question: the same names (IDFromEndpoint and LocalIDFromManager) are used in the ComputingActivity class. Do we change them as well? CEJobID and LocalJobID?

OK, I missed that. We shouldn't change things in an existing class, and it may be that it would be better to keep the same names for the cloud class - something to discuss.