[glue-wg] Handling VO specific information in Glue 2.1

Alessandro Paolini alessandro.paolini at egi.eu
Thu Oct 19 09:22:45 EDT 2017

Hi Florido,

thanks for your comments. The idea is to add a new attribute into the
CloudComputingShare class, since for the moment it seems the more
appropriate place for that identifier (we are not talking about cloud
storage).

cheers,
Alessandro

On 19 October 2017 at 15:07, Florido Paganelli <florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> The current implementation of VO stuff for Computing element is done using
> the AccessPolicy and MappingPolicy objects with basic policy and rules as
> defined in GFD147. Having a new attribute in my opinion is dreadful as it
> might generate inconsistencies between these two approaches.
> On the other hand an attribute will make searches more efficient, as one
> just needs to query for that attribute to retrieve the share objects, while
> in Computing now one has to fetch all shares and their siblings first,
> process the mapping policies for each share and then identify those that
> are related to the VO's MappingPolicy.
>
> The way Stephen suggests I never liked, doing regular expressions on
> strings that are not related to concepts in the model it is very annoying.
> One can decide that a namespace contains whatever information one wants,
> also the age of the person who wrote the last file, but I think digging out
> information this way is a sad way to go and makes the use of a schema
> questionable.
> But I don't do storage so I won't stress this.
>
> Querying the lcg bdii (lcg-bdii.cern.ch) for Mapping/Access Policies and
> Shares will show you how it is done in the computing part, I guess you're
> probably already aware of it.
>
> I think we make it more complicated and cumbersome by having a completely
> different approach on cloud storage.
>
> Cheers,
> Florido
>
> On 2017-10-19 10:20, Alessandro Paolini wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> sorry for not having replied before, but many emails to this list are put
>> in the spam folder: google filters are very aggressive!
>>
>> In our GLUE2.1 implementation, there is one Share per VO, so we can add
>> here the new attribute for the identifier of that particular VO.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alessandro
>>
>> On 18 October 2017 at 18:48, <stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk <mailto:
>> stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk>> wrote:
>>
>>     Enol Fernández [mailto:enol.fernandez at egi.eu
>>     <mailto:enol.fernandez at egi.eu>] said:
>>     > That would imply that a share is to be accessed by a single VO, is
>> that correct?
>>
>>     It depends how you use it, the schema itself isn't prescriptive. In
>>     general a Share provides information about some part of a Resource
>>     which is usable by some group of users, but a given application
>>     needs to decide what constitutes a suitable group.
>>
>>     Stephen

>> --
>> Dr. Alessandro Paolini
>> Operations Officer - EGI Foundation
>> Science Park 140
>> 1098 XG Amsterdam
>> The Netherlands
>> skype: alessandro.paolini.egi
>>

> --
>  Florido Paganelli
>    ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
>    System Administrator
> [...]

"I believe in the power of laughter and tears"
    "as an antidote to hatred and terror"
          "A day without laughter"
             "is a wasted day" >>> Charlie Chaplin