[glue-wg] Handling VO specific information in Glue 2.1

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Thu Oct 19 09:07:00 EDT 2017

Hi all

The current implementation of VO stuff for Computing element is done
using the AccessPolicy and MappingPolicy objects with basic policy and
rules as defined in GFD147. Having a new attribute in my opinion is
dreadful as it might generate inconsistencies between these two approaches.
On the other hand an attribute will make searches more efficient, as one
just needs to query for that attribute to retrieve the share objects,
while in Computing now one has to fetch all shares and their siblings
first, process the mapping policies for each share and then identify
those that are related to the VO's MappingPolicy.

The way Stephen suggests I never liked, doing regular expressions on
strings that are not related to concepts in the model it is very
annoying. One can decide that a namespace contains whatever information
one wants, also the age of the person who wrote the last file, but I
think digging out information this way is a sad way to go and makes the
use of a schema questionable.
But I don't do storage so I won't stress this.

Querying the lcg bdii (lcg-bdii.cern.ch) for Mapping/Access Policies and
Shares will show you how it is done in the computing part, I guess
you're probably already aware of it.

I think we make it more complicated and cumbersome by having a
completely different approach on cloud storage.

Cheers,
Florido

On 2017-10-19 10:20, Alessandro Paolini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> sorry for not having replied before, but many emails to this list are
> put in the spam folder: google filters are very aggressive!
>
> In our GLUE2.1 implementation, there is one Share per VO, so we can add
> here the new attribute for the identifier of that particular VO.
>
> Cheers,
> Alessandro
>
> On 18 October 2017 at 18:48, <stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
> <mailto:stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Enol Fernández [mailto:enol.fernandez at egi.eu
>     <mailto:enol.fernandez at egi.eu>] said:
>     > That would imply that a share is to be accessed by a single VO, is that correct?
>
>     It depends how you use it, the schema itself isn't prescriptive. In
>     general a Share provides information about some part of a Resource
>     which is usable by some group of users, but a given application
>     needs to decide what constitutes a suitable group.
>
>     Stephen

> --
> Dr. Alessandro Paolini
> Operations Officer - EGI Foundation
> Science Park 140
> 1098 XG Amsterdam
> The Netherlands
> skype: alessandro.paolini.egi

  Florido Paganelli
    ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
    System Administrator
  Lund University
  Department of Physics
  Division of Particle Physics
  BOX118
  221 00 Lund
  Office Location: Fysikum, Hus A, Rum A403
  Office Tel: 046-2220272
  Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
  Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli